Brookie Bars | Holiday Recipes
Ingredients | Click On Product To Purchase Ingredient Online
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
⅓ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon instant coffee granules
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 large eggs, cold
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1¼ cup all purpose flour
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease sides of an 8×8 pan and line with enough parchment paper to overhang the sides.
- Prepare brownie layer and chocolate chip cookie layer.
- Pour the brownie batter into prepared pan first.
- Drop large spoonfuls of cookie dough and spread carefully.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Add butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until light brown / caramel in color. 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep and eye on it so butter does not burn. It also helps to use a light colored saucepan for this.
- Pour browned butter into a large bowl along with both sugars, cocoa powder, salt, instant coffee granules and baking powder. Stir until combined and allow to rest for 5 minutes or until the mixture has cooled down.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla and mix until batter has a nice sheen to it.
- Fold in the flour and chocolate chips and stir until combined. (Do not over mix) Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugars.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl mix together cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour.
- Add the dry ingredients on low just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand. Set dough aside.